Sunday 7 December 2008

Hi. I'm Mel

Anyone who knows me will say that I'll tell my life story to someone at a bus stop. But when someone asks you to introduce yourself....

So here goes.

I'm ten years younger than the rest of the Gang and met them at the ante natal group. I was only fifteen when I fell pregnant and the rest of the girls were so kind to me - they sort of adopted me and have been mother hens ever since. I love all three of them like sisters.

So, whilst everyone was taking their GCSEs I was a new mum and getting ready to marry Lester Harper, my baby's father. Lester was only 21 himself at the time with little or no prospects. Sad to say, he fulfilled this early lack of promise! He's now a jobbing builder and our eldest, Tony, works with him (or, in Lester's case, avoids work wherever possible).

My daughter is 16 and a very clever girl - I can't believe I was pregnant at her age - she seems so young. I also have another son, John, who's 20 and has a lovely kind heart. There was no money for college so he's taking an environmental sciences degree with the Open University. All this studying has set me thinking that I ought to return to school to get some sort of education - I don't want to spend the rest of my life slicing bacon!!

My share of the story in The Accidental Guru is a particularly difficult one and I couldn't have got through it without my sister friends, Judi, Paula and Aurora. Why not download the first chapter for free and see how it all started.

I hear Aurora's introducing herself next. Hold on to your hats!

Love Mel xxx

4 comments:

Just Mom said...

Laura - I downloaded and read the first chapter and enjoyed it very much. I'm very curious about what might be up with Mel!

Kaye said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by Pudgy Penguin Perusals and commenting on Adriana Trigiani's book Lucia, Lucia. I have e mailed her also and she is absolutely delightful. I love her books, love the characters, the descriptions, everything. Like you, I am working my way through her books also. You definitely have to read Very Valentine when it comes out. She ahd sent me a review copy and I just could not put it down until the last page. Wonderful writing from the heart and soul!

Laura Essendine said...

Kaye - Thanks for dropping in to the Accidental Guru blog. I shall put Very Valentine on my list for 2009 (which is already up to around 1000 books.) When I'm a rich, famous, internationally published author, I'll be as generous with my public as Adriana is!

Laura Essendine said...

Just Mom - thanks for such lovely comments on my first chapter (which still has some tweeking to go through).

Mel's story is a sad/happy/interesting one but I don't want to give the game away too early. It's family problems is the only hint I'll give.

Stay tuned for Aurora's introduction next week - the woman who refuses to be middle aged. Instead, she's rebranded it as "centre" where she's centre of attention, a centre fold and centre stage.

Don't forget to come back again or sign up for automatic updates. I'm just off to your blog to see if I can log in to yours for updates on your reading challenge. I'm on R for Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott which isn't exactly racing along!

Laura x